1. What is telemetry of software?
- From Wikipedia: In software, telemetry is used to gather data on the use and performance of applications and application components, e.g. how often certain features are used, measurements of start-up time and processing time, hardware, application crashes, and general usage statistics and/or user behavior.
- Microsoft uses this technique, e.g. :
- Google uses this technique, e.g. :
- Red Hat uses this technique, e.g. :
- CockroachDB also uses this technique, e.g. :
- There are many other well-known companies/software in the world that also use telemetry to help improve user experience and improve products.
- In order to better serve our users, PingCAP also uses telemetry.
2. What we have done before with telemetry
3. What feedback we got from our customers
- If you want to help us to improve TiDB, you could turn on the telemetry feature manually.
4. What changes are we going to make in the near future
- All the products from PingCAP will switch telemetry off with default implementation and configuration. This work will be finished on February 20, 2023.
All feedback and suggestions from TiDB users are valuable to us. We will consistently improve our products and provide our users with the most secure and advanced features of TiDB.