Author: TiDB community
Editor: Mila Wu
Happy Hacktoberfest 2021! We are excited to announce that TiDB will be participating in the 8th annual Hacktoberfest hosted by DigitalOcean. During the month of October, anyone is welcome to join in on this global celebration of open-source by contributing changes, and earn one of 55,000 custom-made Hacktoberfest T-shirts!
What is TiDB?
TiDB is an open-source, distributed SQL database that supports both Hybrid Transactional and Analytical Processing (HTAP) workloads. It is MySQL compatible and features horizontal scalability, strong consistency, and real-time Online Analytical Processing (OLAP).
As a dedicated and firm advocate and practitioner of open source, TiDB is proud to be back at Hacktoberfest, together with its sibling projects, TiKV, a distributed key-value storage, and Chaos Mesh, a cloud-native chaos engineering platform, joining more than 82,500 repositories from around the world.
If you find distributed databases, cloud-native, real-time analytics fascinating, or are trying to get more involved in the open-source world, think no more. This one’s for you!
Hacktoberfest is your golden opportunity to learn something new, practice your skills, contribute a change, and make new friends – whether you are trying to come up with a project for school, or looking into a potential career path. The open-source communities are packed with tools, resources, and any additional assistance you might need.
Here’s a quick run-through of how to be part of Hacktoberfest 2021, and you can check out a detailed how to be part of Hacktoberfest on the official website:
- Sign up for Hacktoberfest anytime between Oct 1 and Oct 31.
- Join the TiDB community Slack, just in case you have any questions, or need help.
- Start creating and submitting your PRs! Here are some top tips:
a. Check out the TiDB Contribution Guide before making contributions.
b. Have a go at any issue labeled with
Good first issue. Note that these are the ones that we think might be good for those new to open source or TiDB, so it only serves as a starting point!
- To get a shirt, you must make 4 approved PRs on opted-in projects between October 1-31 in any time zone. If a repository has no “Hacktoberfest” topic set, please reach out to us or mention Hacktoberfest in your PR so we can set repository topics.
- No spams please (e.g. creating a PR just for the sake of it and not adding any value in any way)! Our maintainer will mark a PR as invalid if it’s determined to be spam, which does NOT count towards your PR total.
- Note that if our maintainer reports behavior that’s not in line with the code of conduct, you will be ineligible to participate.
Good luck and hack away!
Subscribe to Stay Informed!
Get the massive scale and resiliency of TiDB databases in a fully managed cloud service
TiDB is effortlessly scalable, open, and trusted to meet the real-time needs of the digital enterprise